Part 2: Breakfast

SO I'M NOT DEAD


we just watched this episode and i'm legit dead ok
I've been on vacation (which you would know if you look at my hangouts status), but I had some time to write on the way home from the trip sO
I bring you, part two of Stealing Violets!  not sure if that should be italicized but whatever
*insert confetti and sparkles*
---------
My eyes open slowly to the sound of the city waking up.  It’s a slightly chilly summer morning, but not as cold as some I’ve seen.  I sit up, yawning, and throw off my dirty blanket.  This little alleyway corner I call home isn’t much, but it can get cozy if Blue snuggles up to me, which he has.  I smile and pet his head.  He sleepily raises his head and blinks several times.
My stomach grumbles loudly.  The bread I ate seems like ages ago.  “I think it’s about time for breakfast, boy,” I say to Blue.  He lays his head back down and closes his eyes.  “Fine, lazy butt!”  I stand up and stretch.  “Suit yourself.  Go find some trash to eat.  I, on the other hand, am going to eat like a king.”
Someone promptly empties their dirty washing water on my head.  “Hey!” I yell, now sopping wet.
“Run off, dirty thief!”  A woman shakes the last of the water out her window above me and curses.  “It’s more than you deserve!”
“Fine then,” I retort.  “Thanks for the free bath!”  Shrugging off my vest, I wring the water out of it and shake my head.  My hair sprays the stone walls with droplets.  
After I’ve gotten most of the water out of my clothes, I step out of the alleyway into the bustle of the city.  Shops are opening, merchants are setting out their wares, and it’s time for my breakfast.  The smell of freshly baked bread and pastries wafts down the streets.  I breathe in the delicious smell.  If I’m lucky, I might be able to steal enough to satisfy my hunger for the rest of the day.
I stroll out of the alleyway, hands in my pockets, not a care in the world.  
Then I step on a splinter of wood caught in the cobblestones and yelp in the most undignified way possible.  Cursing, I pry it out of my foot and hobble along the side of the road.  This day isn’t going too well.  Hopefully it'll improve with my breakfast. My favorite place to snitch from is Tibucus’ place.  He owns a bakery for the richer folks.
I jog along the road as best I can with my injured foot, finally coming to Tibucus’ bakery.  Ahh, yes.  Maybe I can snitch one of the specials--a savory loaf filled with meat and veggies.
I think I'll use a new tactic.  One time I saw a young boy beg from one of the rich customer by widening his eyes and appealing to her feminine side.  I'll try that.  What's a good story?
I dream one up as I lean against a doorway across the street from the bakery.  I'll say that I'm a poor man with a wife and eight mouths to feed.  Maybe I haven't had a job in months.  That sounds pretty believable, so I scruff up my hair and scrub more dust on my face.
Adopting a limping gait--which isn't hard with my poor foot--I hobble into the bakery.  Just my luck!  There's a woman here.  She looks well off, judging by her clothes.  She's handing Tibucus coins in exchange for his best traveling bread.  Funny, I think to myself, a woman of her social standing would have a servant to do that kind of work.  I toss aside the thought and tug on her sleeve, the lie fresh on my lips.  "Pardon, mistress, but I--"
She turns to face me and I freeze.
It's Jessica.
"My lady!" I gasp, dropping into a bow like I've seen the gentlemen do. I probably look like a fool.  "What are you doing here?"
"Hush!"  Her eyes frantically dart to Tibucus, but he's busy and hasn't noticed.
A dozen questions fill my mind.  "Why are you dressed like that?  What are you doing here?  Why--"
"Hush!" she repeats.  "Don't let anyone know it's me!"
"But--"
"No!"  She looks like a cornered rabbit, her eyes darting this way and that.  "What do you need?"
"I--I was just going to ask for some bread, but since it's you--"
"Here."  She shoves half of a loaf into my hands.  "That's all I can spare at the moment,  I'm sorry.  I hope it helps.  Listen."  Locking eyes with me, she places a hand on my shoulder.  I start.  I've been touched by a princess!
"You cannot let anyone know I've been here," she says, her voice urgent.  "Promise me that, Kray."
I'm still in shock and can't reply.
"Promise me!"
"I promise!"
"Good."  She releases me and checks her surroundings once more.  "I have to go now.  I trust you to keep your promise."
And just like that, she's gone.
I'm a bit stunned, to say the least.
What was that all about?
"'Ey!"  Tibucus glares at me from across the counter.  "Ye bet'r not have stolen 'at, ye filthy animal!"
"I didn't," I glare back.
"Then ge' ou'!"  He threateningly waves a rolling pin at me.  "Yer discouragin' th' business!"
I can't retaliate without getting in trouble, so I take my bread and go.
I wander around the city in a daze, trying to process what I've just experienced.
I just saw the princess.
In plain clothes.
Buying traveling bread.
I've gotta sit down.
By this time I've rambled into a rough part of town.  I find an alleyway and slip into it.  Crisscrossing my legs, I take a bite of my bread.  It's good--dense and specially made to fill a man up quickly.
Traveling bread...
Is the princess going on a journey?
Tibucus usually keeps the bread stocked up for the passing noblemen and knights and those going on journeys.
I begin to piece things together.  Jessica--her name feels good on my metaphysical tongue--was wearing the clothes of a common but well off woman.  She was buying traveling bread.  She didn't want anyone to know who she was or why she was there.
Is she running away?
Now I'm panicking.  Has she fallen out of favor with her father?  What's wrong?  Has something happened?  Oh, heaven forbid--is she eloping?  A surprising amount of my heart hopes that's not the case.

Whatever the case, it can't be good.
---------
sO WHAT DO YOU THINK PRINCESS JESSICA IS UP TO?????
Oh I love this little thing, I love it so much, it is my new thing, I am so happy for it.  I have big plans for this.
Also, I wrote most of this on a ferry.  How cool is that?
Anyways, I need to go read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and then eventually sleep (it's after 11 pm here lol).  I'll see you guys later!
~~zoë wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment