Battlefield

'Ello :)
I know I said I'd be back with some Stealing Violets stuff.



Buuuuuuut, I really really need to finish editing The Well of Souhaiters, and also school and life and whatever.  I promise I'll try my best to work on it.
Remember that post that I did for the short story contest from my friend's blog?  Well, I'm back with another one!  This is from the February prompt (here if you're interested).  i barely cut the word count haha
This one was inspired by more internal struggles rather than external ones, despite the name.  I personified (is that the right word?) internal struggles as a battlefield.  It's pretty cool.
Here's the picture prompt:


---------
I’m the last one.
I raise my head and look over the battlefield.
Blood, severed limbs, bodies twisted in death.
My whole army--slaughtered.
Grabbing my flag, I lift it to the purple twilit sky and put my weight on the pole.  I’m more tired than I’ve ever been.  
Daughter of the King, and I’m out here fighting battles in all this gore.  Is this how life is destined to go?
I look down at my sword and grimace.  The amount of blood and guts on my sword alone makes me want to throw up.  
Thoughts race through my throbbing head.  I let my demons win once more.  I asked for strength to resist them, but they overpowered me.  I’m so sick of losing.  A sob builds up in my throat.
I know He made me to resist, to fight, but I’m so tired of fighting.  So fed up with making the wrong choices.  No matter how much I plead, I give in so often!  I call my Father but I’m screaming to an empty sky, devoid of the One thing I need.
I look up, and there--
A star.
It’s risen over the battlefield and shines down on my bloody head.
It brings a message.
Hope.
No matter how many times I fail, He will be there--and He forgives!
I cry, but now they’re tears of disbelief and thankfulness that He could accept me, covered in the mess and stink of the battlefield of life.
---------
*wipes away a tear*
I don't usually write allegorical or other biblical / religious fiction, but I guess I gave it a shot here.  If you want to listen to the song that inspired / helped me write this, you can find it here.
So, what do you think?
I'll be back with some Stealing Violets soon!
~~zoë wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment