The Chamber of Unreliability

I just finished the season finale of Doctor Who season 5 and I'm emotionally unstable and my mental wheels are turning HELP
Anyway, here's the short story for today.  Tried something more…off my particular alley, or some other metaphor meaning "something I don't usually do."

 

---------
There was nothing around him.  All was stark white.  It seemed to have no end.  He was nearly blinded simply because of the cleanliness, the sterile environment.  Blinking, he held his hands up to his face.  I look normal at least, he thought.  Is this a lab coat I’m wearing?  Where am I?  He looked down.  His feet appeared to be not touching the ground, yet he didn’t feel the vertigo which should have come from floating.
“You are in the experimental chamber of unreliability,” a female voice said.  It seemed to come from all around him.  He searched the room, if it could be called a room, and tried to find the source of the voice.  He found nothing.
The scene suddenly changed.  He dropped to his feet onto a rock, legs almost buckling beneath him.  He was in a volcano, its heat surrounding him, burning his skin.  The rocks cracked and drops of molten lava burst up beneath him.  A hot wind beat at his face.  Frantically, he searched again.  “What’s happening?” he yelled at the sky.  “What’s going on?”  A large burst of heat hit his arm and he looked down.  Lava had splashed from the side of the rock and landed on his arm.  Strangely, he felt no pain.  Weird, he thought.  And then it hit him.
Agony racked his arm.  He screamed, falling to his knees and clutching at the wound.  This action only got lava on his hand.  He screamed louder.
Abruptly, the scene changed again.  This time he was at the ocean.  White sand stretched as far as the eye could see, and blue-green water lapped at the shore.  The beach was completely deserted.  In the distance, he noticed dolphins jumping and racing in the water.  
Looking down at his arm, he registered that the burn was completely gone.  He turned his hand and arm in wonder, gazing at the lack of what should have been a life-threatening wound.  His arm still felt feverish, however, so he dashed toward the ocean water and dipped it in.  It was the perfect temperature.
“This chamber was created by scientists, of which you are one,” the voice continued as if it hadn’t stopped.  “Its goal was to become anything the person who entered needed or wanted at that specific moment.  However, there was an accident.  Things went wrong, there were malfunctions, and you got trapped inside.”  The man sought the source of the voice and again found nothing.  “The experimental chamber of unreliability became just that--unreliable.  It now has a mind of its own, and appears to take you wherever it wants, rather than vice versa.”  Something clicked.  “We cannot save you.  You’re on your own.”
The man frantically scrabbled up the beach.  “Wait!  Don’t go!” he yelled.  “Don’t leave me!”
There was silence.
A deep chuckle echoed through the sky.  Clouds suddenly rushed to block the radiant sunlight, and a chill fell over the beach.  “This should be fun,” the new voice said.
“Who are you?” the man demanded, searching the sky.
“I’m what you called the ‘experimental chamber of unreliability,’ but I prefer to call myself B055.”  There was another chuckle.  “This is a dangerous place.  Everything here can kill you, but I can do it the most efficiently.  Of course, I am everything here, so there’s that as well.”
“Please, let me go!”  Falling to his knees once more, the man pleaded to the overcast sky.  “Don’t hurt me!”
“Why not?” the voice asked innocently.  “I’ve never tortured anyone yet--well, there’s a first time for everything.”

---------
That last line was not indented…odd.  
Whatcha think?  It was cool to write.  I like writing these short things, actually.  Pretty cool.  Sciency-things are new for me, but this was surprisingly easy.  I liked it.
I LOVE THESE WRITING PROMPTS
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment