Even Villains Cry

This short story was interesting as well.  I'm beginning to like this science-fiction-y thing!  Maybe I should try to do some more stuff!
Some people (okay two, my fren Beth and my sister) have exhibited signs of wanting me to write a sequel to Marcy's Story (which should have a title SOON).  This week we are completely off school, so I should have time to edit the original Marcy's Story and also get thoughts together for a second.  :D  Should be fun!


---------
“Mom, give me a break!”  Bleak slammed his door in his mother’s face.  “I can’t do anything around here!  All I did was kill him, just a little bit!”
“Bleak, I swear I’ve told you a thousand times, you cannot have your first kill till you’re at least seventeen!”  His mother’s voice came through the door.  She sounded exasperated.
“Ugh!  Leave me alone!  I do what I want!” Bleak shot back.
There was a sigh from outside.  “You know you’ll be in trouble with the Villain Association.”
“I know!”  He flopped onto his bed and clenched the rumpled covers in his fists, hiding his face from the world.  “Just go away, will you?”
He heard his mother’s footsteps walk away from the door.  Turning over on his back, he lay on his bed for a few minutes, looking at the ceiling.  Angry thoughts ran through his head.  All I did was kill him!  It’s not like Mom and Dad don’t do the same!  Bleak felt a tear slip down the side of his face.  He quickly swiped it away, but another took its place.  I have powers!  Not everyone in my school has powers!  I’m special.  And it was only one bully!  It’s not like he’ll be missed, anyway.  
He sat up and crossed his legs, sweeping his messy hair out of his eyes.  “Telekinesis doesn’t work with anything inside the body.”  The words of his teacher echoed through his mind.  Well, I made it work, he thought.  I showed her.  I mean, bending that bully’s bones?  That was brilliant.  I must be super powerful.
Plus, it was only one, he reasoned.  Surely the VA won’t jail me for it…right?
He lay there for who knew how long, practicing his telekinesis with objects in his room to cool off.  Slamming two books together in mid-air several times usually did the trick.
There was a knock at the door.  “May I come in?”
Bleak sighed.  “Yeah,” he said, using his power to unlock it.  That was one of the tricks he loved the most--and one he had spent a long time learning.  Each individual part had to be moved and maneuvered.  It was a complicated process, but he had mastered it.
Mist opened the door and came in, sitting down on her son’s bed.  She put a hand on his back and rubbed.  “Hi,” she said.
“Hi,” Bleak said.  There was momentary silence.
“Since your father and I are on the Council, we might be able to lighten your punishment.”  Mist blinked wearily.  “You could be jailed for this.  It’ll take a while to wipe everyone’s memories.  I think I can help with that, though.  I’m an essential mem--”
“An essential member of the team, I know,” Bleak interrupted.  “Everyone thinks your powers are cool.  I mean, being able to wipe or create memories?  Who wouldn’t want that?  But here I am, and I can move stuff with my mind, and somehow I have to hide it at school--somehow I still have to go to school--and I get bullied, and--”
“Hang on, you get bullied?”  Mist looked at her son in surprise.  “You’ve never told me that!”
“You’re always busy,” he mumbled.
“That’s it.  We’re pulling you out of school.  It’s time you were enrolled in the Villain Academy.  I told your father this wasn’t a good idea.”  Mist nodded with a sense of finality.  “Sorry son, but it’s time for you to become an essential member of our family team.”
Bleak smiled.  Things were looking a lot better than they had an hour ago.
---------
Dang, something's up with that last line again.  Weird.
Anyway, what did ya think?
Wishing y'all a happy Thankskgiving week,
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment