Chapter 26: Drawing and talking


Brandon's POV

---------
I was sure glad it was Sunday.
Chess club went well. I sincerely enjoyed playing chess with a bunch of weird teenagers. I was already friends with most of them, but we recently added another member who was very talented. We all had a good time. Thankfully, I had made it home just in time to see Taylor’s text about being alone. I spent most of the night feeling waves of her emotions--anger, followed by more anger, followed by anger tinged with sadness.
I tried my best to shove the emotions away, but they were still there, a foreign body occupying my mind. Cooking took my mind off it, a little. I made an elaborate meal of seared pork chops with salad and rice and roasted vegetables. I even treated myself to some toffee, which took a long time to make. Desserts are finicky creatures.
In the back of my mind, I noticed that it was a shame to have this meal without someone to enjoy it with. I did what I do best--ignored it.
“I haven’t drawn for fun in a while,” I mused. “Maybe it’s about time to do that again.” I dug out my art supplies and munched on some toffee. Dwelling on Taylor’s anger made me want to draw something murderous, preferably with blood. I shook my head. “Nah. Let’s try something less…edgy.”
As I tapped a pencil against my chin, I allowed my thoughts to wander. They rested on what had gotten me in this situation in the first place--lightning. I smirked sarcastically. The whole reason I was struck by lightning is that I wanted to know if I could adequately draw a thunderstorm, I thought, the irony not lost. Just as if it was summoned, I heard a peal of thunder. Rain could always get me in the mood to art, so I put on some soundtracks and let my imagination go.
An indeterminate amount of time later, I sat back to admire my work. Taylor’s emotions had been muffled by my creative energy, and the feelings of pride I had were all mine. The thunderstorm on my page seemed to move with a wild, reckless energy. A bolt of lightning struck the ground in the center of the page. The rain outside poured, and the rain on my page mirrored it, striking the cement in an abandoned park. It was still missing something, though. I tilted my head and added something else--a branch off the main lightning bolt, hitting a tree faintly in the distance. Like Taylor when told me she was indirectly struck. Perfect.
My eyes followed the lightning, two separate bolts connected to the same thicker bolt. “Taylor and I,” I said, musing. “Fates intertwined, connected by a thread.”
I found myself wanting to show it to Taylor.
Video calling would have to suffice. I didn’t even bother to text her first. She picked up almost immediately. “Hey,” I said.
“Hey,” she said. She looked exhausted, her face red and blotchy.
“Have you been crying?” I asked, concerned.
“Only a little.” Taylor wiped her eyes. “Mostly because of Mom, honestly. She called a divorce lawyer today…Dad yelled at her at dinner, and hit her. Twice. I’m so scared, and angry. I know the police will protect us, but I’m scared for my siblings. They’re so little. So young…” She sniffed.
“Hey, it’s going to be okay,” I comforted her. “Your mom is doing the right thing. Being stuck in a toxic relationship is not good for anyone. I’m proud of her for seeing that she needs to bring herself--and you guys--out of it.”
“Me too.” Taylor smiled at me. “I’m sorry you had to feel all that.”
“It wasn’t that bad, actually,” I admitted. “I was alone, and I cooked for most of the anger. Maybe sometime I’ll bring you guys some food and meet the rest of your family.”
“I’d like that.”
A thought popped into my mind. “I never felt the strong sadness. I just finished drawing a…thing, and now I had a thought. What if doing something helps take the edge of the emotions? Like, I enjoy cooking. I don’t get lost in it, though. What I do get lost in is my art. And when I was drawing, I never felt your sadness.”
“Odd.” She cocked her head to the side. “I should try it sometime when I’m feeling your emotions.”
“Such a weird statement.”
“Indeed.”
I smiled at her. “I’m proud of you, you know. For being there for your mom. For being there for her after a pretty harsh breakup today. For being strong for your siblings. I can tell you’re the kind of person who takes family very seriously, and I know your siblings appreciate it.”
She smiled, shakily, and quickly wiped away a tear. “Thanks. You’re really sweet to be there for me today. I can’t thank you enough.”
“Of course. Anything for a friend.” I glanced at the clock. “Listen, it’s late. You’ve got an exam tomorrow, right?”
“Oh great, I’d forgotten about that,” Taylor groaned. “Ugh, that’s the last thing I want on my mind right now.”
“I know, I know, I’m sorry,” I said. “But you need sleep. You’ve studied a lot, and now it’s time to take care of your body. You’re going to do just fine.”
“Geez, I don’t know what I ever did without you. Even Jamie isn’t this much of a cheerleader.” Somewhere in the back of my mind, I wondered if by Jamie she meant Aiden’s girlfriend Jamie. If she is, you could set up a best friends’ get together, a voice suggested. You certainly wouldn’t say no to hanging out with Taylor a little more…
Okay, so I might enjoy her as a friend, I argued with it. As a friend. Nothing more. The poor girl just went through a breakup and her parents are separating. Now is not the time. Even if I was interested.
Mhm. Right. The other voice crossed its invisible arms smugly.
I’m not interested!
“Earth to Brandon,” Taylor said, waving a hand in front of the camera. “You zoned out.”
“Oh yeah, sorry about that.” I shook my head. “It’s this thing I do. One of my many weird elements.”
“I mean, I don’t think you’re too weird. But like, not in a weird way,” she quickly corrected. “Oh, whatever. I should go to bed.”
“Yes, you should.”
“Well, goodnight.”
“Goodnight,” I echoed.
---------
(why does the summer go by so quickly honestly)

2 comments: