Chelsea AU

Hey!!  I'm back!
With a short story!
The prompt for this one came from my good friend Ben, who got it from a music video of a dubstep song (lol surprise).  He gave me an amazing summary of the video, and then I watched it for myself.  However, the music video was a cartoon and really not that impressive and dramatic, so I stuck with Ben's summary because it was more dramatic and then I also took a little bit from the video's plot.  Coolio.
This one was exploring thoughts, sadness, and loss.  Something new.  I'm going through Poe and Hawthorne in school so it seemed legit.  It was very fun to write and I hope you'll enjoy it!  :)
---------
I prowl through the empty streets, my thoughts wandering.
No one around...everyone gone...where are they all?
Of course, I know where they are. They're hiding. Waiting. Watching the sun go down and knowing that once it does, I'll be easier to catch.
All I did was go on a business trip a few countries over, and the zombie apocalypse had to happen while I was away.
It started in America--like we always knew it would. Somewhere on the west coast, so I'm told. Or was told. It spread quickly, like the virus it is, and then moved over here to Europe. All it took was a few of them on boats and planes, and everywhere was infected.
I've been walking for how long now? Oh yeah, almost a month. I know I'm nearly home from the scenery.
There's a supermarket over there. I decide to check it out, I'm getting hungry anyway. There's not much here. A bag of chips, some soda. Beans. The usual things you'd find in a store after a zombie apocalypse. The survivors of the first wave must have staked out in here, eating what they could until the zombies found their way inside. I kick an empty cardboard box. Dust poofs into my face.
My dog would chase the dust if he were here. Stupid little pug. I never liked him, but any company would be welcome now.
Time to search for any survivors.
There's a locked door in the back. I try and kick it down, but have to resort to grabbing a plank and beating it till it falls in. I peek inside. Looks like those who made it through the zombies didn't do so well with starvation. Their faces are gaunt and stretched, the smell of decay heavy in the air.
That could have been me.
I close the door softly, making the sign of the cross as it clicks shut. I used to be an atheist before all this--now I think my mom was right to teach me the Catholic prayers. Not that they've helped me so far, but it does give a sense of protection.
Grabbing what food items I can find, I step out of the supermarket, pulling the automatic doors shut behind me.  
----
I've been walking for three more days now.
I fought off the zombies that came at night with fire. I can hardly get any sleep at nights for fear of being eaten unless I surround myself with a ring of fire. I just pray I wake up before it burns inward.
On the side of the road lays the remains of a zombie that's been eaten by the others. It's a teenage girl, from what I can see. Someone's sister, someone's daughter.
What about my daughter? She's only four, my Chelsea. Is she okay? Has she survived this nightmare?
I kick some leaves over what's left of the body and move on.
Chelsea, are you okay? Your mother couldn't be there to take care of you--did Melody do okay taking care of you for the few days I was supposed to be gone?
I've been thinking about my daughter the whole time I was away. I hope she's alright.
If she's dead then I have nothing else to live for.
I try not to dwell on the thought.
Everything is really familiar now--I'm in my hometown. Broken down cars sit in driveways. Dark houses line the streets. The sun is setting.
If I can get home before it gets dark, I can see my Chelsea again. I can be safe. We can be together.
I begin to run.
Is she okay? Is she still alive?
I can spot glowing eyes from the shadows. They're watching, waiting for the opportunity they know will come.
There's my street--run faster!
I'm dashing now. The dust flies out from behind me, clouding up. I can hear the moans of the zombies.
Chelsea! I'll save you, I'll be there soon! Hold on!
Now I see my house--I run up to the door--swing it open--step inside--slam it shut.
It's dark.
It's quiet.
I can hear them outside.
I'm scared.
A sound, a movement, anything, I'll take anything! Just let me know you're okay!
Slowly and silently, I walk down the hall to much baby girl's room.
The door is slightly open.
I still haven't heard a sound.
Chelsea!!!!
It creaks as I push it open, scared to see what's inside.
CHELSEA!!!!
I see her silhouette against the backdrop of the last light coming through her window.
A small sob escapes me.
She's okay!
Sinking to me knees, I hold out my arms.
She turns.
My heart skips a beat.
She's one of them.
Her skin, lumpy. Her face, green. Her eyes, dead.
And she's crying.
Tears are running down her face and she looks straight into my eyes. "Daddy," she whimpers. "They're outside."
She runs to me and I embrace her, crying freely now.
I know it'll only be a few minutes before the--before her other side kicks in. I've seen it happen before to my coworkers. The first smell of fresh blood sends them into a frenzy.
I know it'll happen to Chelsea too.
I weep into her hair.
She cries into my chest.
All I can think is that I'm too late.
I'm too late.

I'm too late.
---------
So.
Yeah.
A bit different than what you're probably used to from me.
But it was cool.
I'm exploring my skills right now, so if that's an excuse then I'll use it to justify it.  :)
Here's Ben's summary, now that you're done.  This is what inspired me the most.
"All he wanted was to save her, and he was too late."
Just about made me cry tbh.  Awesome writing prompt, could be used for many stories.
What do you think?
Please comment!
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment