Nolan One Shot.

HEY GUYS I'M BACK
Still on break, but back with a one-shot for you guys!
I've always had this storyline in my mind, and had a great idea and, well, it kind of just happened.
So, I give you, the Nolan One Shot.  For lack of a better name.
---------
"Look, Nolan, I just...I just want to die." I sighed, scratching my head. "I mean, not like that. I'm so tired, so tired of life."
Nolan cocked his head as if confused.
"Remember when I left that one time? I left for a super long time. Oh, you hadn't met me yet. Sorry." I took a sip of coffee. "Well, I didn't leave. I was captured. Yeah, I was captured. Seems weird, right? Me, captured. Why would anyone want me?
"Well, it turns out that this organization wanted me for an experiment." I shuddered. "You should have seen what they did to me--so many tubes, lab coats, white rooms, fake smiles. I still have nightmares. I never figured out who they were. Anyway, after I don't know how long of tests, they told me I was 'ready.' Apparently the tests had worked, but they never told me what they were testing me for. It was terrible. I was tired, sick, and felt like I needed to throw up all the time. What's worse, I remember--barely--one of them, a middle aged guy, I think, walking over to the table that they strapped me to when they would torture me." I shivered again, recalling the large smile the man's face held. "He said that the tests were over, and I'd get to go home. Then he pulled out a needle and stabbed my arm, and I woke up here." Shrugging, I took another sip of the coffee. "That was over two hundred years ago, Nolan. Because I don't know how long I was in the lab, I don't even know how old I am now. But I counted the years as they went by, wondering why I stayed in health while my new friends kept dying naturally.
"That's when I realized it. I'm immortal, Nolan. I can't die. I figured it out one day, tested it the next. I jumped off a bridge 500 feet onto solid concrete and got up without a bruise.
"I've tried tons of things--ingesting poisons, overdosing drugs, downing bottles upon bottles of whiskey, sticking a gun in my mouth and pulling the trigger, you name it. I just can't die." I sat back, lacing my fingers behind my head.
"So you see, Nolan, I'm tired. Tired of living. I've seen people get older around me, their hair gets grey while mine stays brown, their bodies fail and mine is in tip top shape. I've seen authorities come and go: tons of presidents, some kings, a few dictators. I've seen laws passed and wars fought. I've fallen in love but never had children because of the pain I know it would cause me.

"I'm just tired, Nolan. After living for two hundred years you kind of lose your delight in life. I guess when the planet explodes or aliens take over or whatever, I'll just float in space and live on. I wish you could understand." I leaned forward and picked up Nolan. "But you're just a cat." He purred as I stroked his furry head. I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a glass of milk. "You don't have to worry about those kinds of things. Thanks for listening, though." A hungry Nolan rubbed up against my leg, begging for some milk. "Okay, selfish. I'll give you some too."
---------
WELL HOW'D YOU LIKE THE TERRIBLE ANTICLIMAX?
Kinda wanna do more adventures with this guy, but whatever.  :3
What do you guys think?
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment