The Journey Into the Unknown: Part 2

The second part of my story--hope you like it!
---------
                                                                        PART 2
TEN YEARS LATER........

            Firespark dashed through the castle.  He was playing his favorite game, hide-and-seek, with his best friend Lilly.
            Firespark was the dragon Lilly had found in the forest ten years before.  He lived in the castle with her and her family.  He was bigger now, around 5 feet long.  Dragons grow extremely fast when they are young.  His scales were now an even brighter orange, like the rising sun.  He rarely used his wings, being too big to fly in the castle.  Fairies are small, around 8 inches, but the palace was large enough to fit Firespark.
            It was set in a clearing in the middle of a forest.  The palace was very big—the fairies who built it liked to feel as if they were out in the open, as do the fairies of today.  The shortest ceiling was 6 feet, so Firespark could just barely fit.
            He almost crashed into a fairy coming around a corner.  “Oops!  Sorry!  Coming through!”  He ran through a doorway into a corridor.  Firespark stopped.  He had never seen this hallway before.  Tiptoeing down toward the end, he tried not to knock anything over.  Expensive looking vases and paintings lined the corridor, giving it the appearance of an extremely fancy museum. 
            Firespark paused by a door on the left side of the hall.  It was decorated with vines all around the doorframe, and mysterious symbols were carved into the door.  Firespark’s curiosity was aroused.  Now this, he thought, will be an adventure worthy of telling Lilly.  She always boasts that she had an adventure and found me.  Maybe I’ll find something important, too.
            He put his hand on the doorknob and tested it.  Yes!  It was unlocked!  Firespark inched the door open. 
            Woah.  Inside was an expensive looking mirror.  The mirror showed everything in exquisite detail, from the trim around the room to Firespark’s light orange eyes.  He entered the room.  Stepping softly, he went toward the mirror.  He stood in front of it and closed his eyes.  When he opened them, he saw—
            “AAAAHHHHH!!!!!”  Firespark leapt up, scared out of his wits.  Lilly collapsed in the doorway laughing.  “Hahahaha!!!!  I got you so good!!!  Auntie will be pretty mad when she finds out you’ve been in here.  I’m not even allowed in here.  Come on, let’s get out before she finds both of us.”  Lilly flew in the room and sat on his head.  “Let’s go!  We’re wasting time!”
            Firespark leaned against the wall.  “Hang on!  You just scared me out of my scales!  I need a minute to recuperate.”
            “Okay, okay.  But hurry up!”  Lilly bounced up and down. 
            “All right, I’m ready.  Let’s get out of here.”  Firespark lumbered over to the door, exited the room, and closed the door. 
            “Go faster,” Lilly urged him.  “If anyone finds us, we’re toast.”  Firespark sighed and moved faster.  Unfortunately, running made him clumsy, and before he knew it his tail got out of control and—
            CRASH!!!!!  A statue fell off of its pedestal and broke into shards of porcelain on the stone floor.  Firespark and Lilly winced.  “Oh no.  Now you’ve done it.”  Lilly flew off his head and investigated the ruins.  “I’ll never be able to fix that with my little magic.  This looks expensive.”
            “You were the one making me go faster!” Firespark exclaimed.  “It was your fault!”
            “No, it was your fault,” Lilly countered, no longer interested in the broken statue.  “You’re the one with the tail that did it!”
            “It’s not my fault!” he shouted.
            “SILENCE!”
            Firespark and Lilly turned around to look at who had shouted.  Rina, the cranky maid, scowled at them from the end of the hall.  “You two are coming with me.  I think that Queen Titiana will have some things to say about you playing in the sacred artifacts hall.”
*****************
            “When will you two ever learn?”
            Firespark and Lilly sat in a private room off of the throne room.  They had nicknamed it their “lecture room,” because it was where Titiana always went to reprove them.
            “I’ve told you that Firespark is too big to play hide-and-seek in the palace, Lilly.  You really shouldn’t bribe him with chipotle cookies so he’ll play with you.  That’s disobeying the queen’s orders, you know.”  Titiana sat on a chair in front of Firespark and Lilly.  She rubbed her temples.  “I’m too old for this.”
            “How old are you?” asked Firespark, trying to take some of the attention off of him and Lilly.
            “A few centuries, I think,” answered Titiana.  “Four?  Or maybe three and a half.  But that’s not the point.  You,” she pointed at both of them, “are in trouble, and there’s only one way to fix it.  I’ve been putting this off far too long.”
            Lilly looked at Firespark.  They swallowed.
            “Firespark, your parents left you here ten years ago.  They did not leave you here because they didn’t want you, but I can't tell you the real reason.”  Titiana leaned back in her chair.  “That is up to them.  But you will have to go find them first.”
            “What?!”  Firespark leapt up.  “What do you mean?  You’re just going to send me away to find the parents I’ve never even seen?  And how am I supposed to find them?  I don’t even know where to look!  I mean, I’ve only been outside of the Kingdom once or twice!”
            “Firespark, you’re smoking.”  Lilly pointed to his nostrils, where thin tendrils of smoke were trickling out. 
            “I’m sorry!” yelled Firespark.  “I’m just so confused and......and......oh dear.”
            “What is it?” asked Lilly.
            “I think I’m going to sneeze,” replied Firespark.  “Oh no,” said Titiana.  “Hold your breath.  That always works for me.  The last thing we need is the carpet going up in flames.”
            Firespark held his breath.  So did Titiana and Lilly.  After a minute, Firespark exhaled.  “Whew.  Okay.  Back to being confused.  So why are you sending me away?”

            “I’m sending you away because your parents asked me to.  They said to wait until I was sure you could make the journey and I’m sure.  You’re too big for the palace, you’ve broken more than a few random items, and your best friend is Lilly.  That’s why she’s going with you.”
---------
Haha sort of a cliffy.  I like making you wait!!  :P
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment