Christmas: Day 12

~ ~ On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me twelve drummers drumming, eleven pipers piping, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four colly birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree. ~ ~


     My anticipation grew as the day went on. I couldn’t wait to see my love. The day crept by minute by minute. I found myself losing concentration at work as my mind drifted to what I should wear to the park. I--just--couldn’t--wait! Finally the moment came. I broke at least twelve traffic laws on my way home. I spent a whole hour on my hair and makeup and outfit. And I practically ran to the park.
     When I arrived, I eagerly searched for my love. I wandered around the park, peeking behind bushes and walking every trail, but I couldn’t find him. He wasn’t there. I couldn’t believe it. Maybe I had read the time wrong. I pulled the letter out of my pocket and smoothed its many creases. I had gotten the time right, and now it was 5:36 pm and my love still wasn’t here. I found my way to my favorite bench, which ironically overlooked the pond where I dumped my geese. Sitting down, I put my head in my hands. What had happened to my love?
     Suddenly I heard a commotion. Standing up, I squinted over at the other side of the pond. What could that be…?
     Over the horizon, on the background of the setting sun, marched a small band. Twelve drummers beat out a rhythm for eleven wind instrument players--there were horns, trombones, tubas, and trumpets. The ten long jumpers and nine dancers I’d met in the previous day were following the band in a small crowd, waving at me and smiling. I waved at them. They waved back.
     The parade gradually made its way over to my bench, where the instrument players marched in place and played their song. I clapped my hands and smiled. It was all amazing, and I was trying to be happy for the display they’d put on for me.
     The song ended, and I applauded. But the show wasn’t over.
     The small crowd parted, and there in the midst of the dancers and long jumpers and instrument players was my love. My hands flew to my cheeks as I gasped. He smiled at me, his special smile, and knelt down on one knee. The park had gone silent, even the spectators who had gathered to watch.
     “My love,” he said, “I know I’ve been away for a very long time. And these wonderful people have told me”--he gestured to the crowd--“that you patiently put up with what I sent you. Even all the strange birds.” He smiled and shrugged. “I figured if you could deal with all that, you might be able to put up with me. I love your little quirks and sarcasm and the way you deal with hard situations and the way your eyes shine when you’re happy and I could go on and on and on. I’ve realized that you’re exactly who I want to grow old with. You deserve all the best things in life, and I know I’m not the best, but,” he fumbled around in his pocket and pulled out a ring, “will you marry me?”
     I felt my eyes well up with joyful tears as I nodded.
     The crowd applauded as my feet brought me to him and finally, after so many long months, we were together again.
---------
IM SO SORRY THIS DIDN'T GET POSTED EARLIER IM A FAILURE LIFE HAPPENED IM SORRYYYY
But anyways yay this small series is finished now!! Yay!
Again I am so sorry that I missed posting this two days ago *wince*
I'll probably edit this tomorrow or something but anyways yeehaw!
School has started and today has been a day. I don't know when I'll be able to write again, so TTFN! Thanks to those who enjoyed this :)
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment