Christmas: Day 5

~ ~ On the fifth day of christmas my true love gave to me five golden rings, four colly birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree. ~ ~


     The rings came in a beautiful white box, which was shipped inside a nondescript cardboard box. They were absolutely beautiful. Each had a different color stone set in it--blue, red, green, white, or purple. I paused in my unwrapping. Was my love trying to tell me something? Typically proposals were done with just a single ring, so I shook my head. That couldn’t be it. Still, he was slightly unconventional.…I’d have to ask him when he returned home. Curious about their value, I took the rings to a jewelry shop to have them examined. Sure enough, they were certainly very expensive. I was delighted. A thought crossed my mind--maybe I could keep one or two, and sell the rest so I could have enough money to take care of my birds. Quickly, I shoved the thought away. They were too gorgeous to sell. The jeweler seemed interested in them, though, so I recovered the idea and saved it for later. Just in case. Still, I didn’t own much jewelry, and I thanked my love profusely for his gift. I slipped the white stoned ring on my finger and admired it. My birds squawked in the background. I threw a towel over their crates.
---------
At this point I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I'm supposed to be researching colleges. Instead, my mental state has declined to the point where I found myself smiling at work because I was thinking about Richard Armitage. Please send help.
Anyways. See everyone tomorrow!
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment