Chemistry

Heyyyyyy 


*wiggles eyebrows suggestively*
Here comes the smoulder you guys and it's actually me and I have absolutely no idea how to smoulder *trips over shoelaces*
Alrighty, so, if anyone was waiting for Stealing Violets, I promise I'm working on it.  It's been a busy few weeks, and I mean busy.  But for now, to appease the readers I have a short story!  I love writing these okay haha
Also the word "readers" made me remember that people actually read what I write which is just ?????  Like wow ?????  I can't believe it to be honest, it's quite amazing to me.  So thank you guys.  Thank you for reading my random rambles at the beginnings of these posts (if you do read them), thank you for commenting, thank you for following, thank you for reading.  You absolutely make my day / week / month / life.  :)
Anyways, here's what inspired me to write this.  First it was this meme:
(click image to enlarge btw)

…which is just adorable I mean just look at it, it's the cutest seven frame love story I've ever seen.  I'd remembered this prompt from somewhere a few weeks ago:


…and let's just ignore the fact that it's a terrible graphic.  I made in the car, okay?  Gimmie a break. Anyways, I combined them into this story.  :D
This has been a long intro so I'm not even gonna say "without further ado" or anything.  Just keep reading.
---------
“Thomas!”
I winced.
“I told you no science in the microwave!”  Sophia stomped into the lunchroom coughing.  Black smoke hung in the air and she pushed it aside as she made her way to the microwave.  “This is for food!  Not science!”
“I’m sorry!” I said helpfully.
“That’s not helping!”
“I’m sorry?”
Would you please turn on the fan and open a window for zark’s sake?
I blinked.  “Yeah, sure.”  I coughed too.  It really smelled horrible.  The fan quickly blew the smoke out the window, though, and soon I could see the lunchroom floor again.  Unfortunately, the smell didn’t leave.
Sophia glared at me.  “What the zark were you thinking?”  She pointed to the blackened mess that used to be in the microwave.  “And what is that?”
I twisted my fingers around my lab coat.  “Well…promise you won’t kill me?”
She narrowed her eyes.  “What is it?”
“It’s…a love potion.”
As scared as I was of getting in trouble, I genuinely enjoyed seeing my sister’s surprised expression.  “A love potion?”
“Yep.”
Suddenly all business, she pulled up a chair and sat down at the table, motioning for me to join her.  “What did you put in it?” she asked.  
I raised an eyebrow at her sudden attitude change, but rattled off the ingredients to her.
“I see where you went wrong.  See, you should have boiled the carboxymethyl inulin before you added it to the sugar.  That would have made it mix better.  The way you did it, it hadn’t fully combined when you microwaved it, which caused it to explode.”
I closed my jaw.  My sister wasn’t scolding me for using science in a way she always believed was wrong?  What next, flying pigs?
She continued.  “Also, the sodium gluconate should have been kept at 89 degrees before you added it to the rest of the mixture, instead of room temperature like you’ve done.”
“You sound like you’ve done this before,” I said suspiciously.
Sophie blushed.  “Well, I’ve read up on what might happen if it were to be done.  In theory.  You’re not the first, you know.”
“But I thought you believe in science for the good of humanity, not self?”
“Sometimes things get tricky.”  Sophie shrugged.  “Love is one of those times.”
Silence fell in the kitchen for a moment.  Then I spoke up again.  “Could you help me make it again, but right this time?”  I crossed my fingers underneath the white coat.
“Sure.”  I grinned, but she held up a finger.  “After I heat up my meatloaf in the microwave which now smells like a skunk had babies in a trash pit.”
Sophie helped me recreate the new and improved love potion.  This time it smelled delicious, something like brownies and ice cream.  I nearly drank it myself, but Sophie reminded me it wasn’t for me.  She didn’t ask who it was for, though, which I appreciated.
When the day was nearly over, I caught up to Rosalind.  She was cleaning up her work--she’d been plugging away at a way to combine oxidizing acids and combustible materials without both catching fire.  So far she’d had to buy two new lab coats.  It smelled like smoke in her area.
I’d been trying to catch her eye ever since she came to work at the lab, but she always seemed to be too busy to notice me.  The love potion should fix that.  I put it in a spray bottle, so hopefully she wouldn’t notice anything suspicious.
While she was bent over grabbing a box on her desk, I said a prayer and spritzed her with the love potion.  It landed right on her back.  She stiffened.
I cursed myself and quickly hid the bottle inside my coat.  Finishing her task, she turned to face me with the box in her hands.  “Hey!” she said.
My heart skipped a few beats.  “H--He--Hiyo,” I stuttered.  I cursed inwardly again.  I’m such an idiot.  
She pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear with one hand.  “It’s Tommy, right?”
“Uh, Thomas, actually.  And you’re Rosalind?”
“That’s me!”  She smiled.  I was pretty sure I should have had cardiac arrest by then.  “Nice to meet you!”
She started to walk away, but I finally built up enough courage to speak up.  “Hey, don’t you feel like…something different?”  I swallowed hard.
She stopped.  “Not really,” she replied without turning around. Was that a smile in her voice?
“Oh…okay.”
I waited for her to say something like “goodbye,” but she was silent and continued to walk to the door.  My heart sank with every step she took.
Dejected, I took the spray bottle out from under my lab coat and slowly trudged to my desk.  I flopped down on my swivel chair and thumped a test tube.  Sighing, I put my head in my hands.  “I don’t understand…it should have worked, unless…”
I perked up.  “Unless…she already…”
A hot blush crept from my neck to my cheeks.
---------
D'aawww, love and science.  It's like every Avengers movie but only with the love and science (let's be real, like every superhero in the Avengers is scientifically enhanced and has a love interest).
I can strongly relate to Thomas' subtlety and flirting abilities.  Ahahah.
So, what do you think?  Does it live up to the meme?
See you soon, hopefully with more Stealing Violets!
~~zoë wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment