A pep talk on the edge of the universe

I have found a bunch of AMAZING dialogue prompts and oh my word this is awesome.
This week has been amazing--I've been reading and writing and chilling and watching a lot of Doctor Who.  A good week overall.
I probably won't post tomorrow, seeing as it's Thanksgiving, but that's okay.  I didn't post yesterday because I was having such a wonderful time reading Hero of the Ages and also the 5th Harry Potter book *cue squealing*
Anyway, here's the shortie for today:


---------
“What on earth are you doing?”
“Nothing…just livin’ on the edge.”
“You are literally sitting on the edge of the universe!”  I sighed deeply, as exasperated as a robot can get, and sat down next to my friend.  “Jonathan, what’s wrong?  You seem to get more morose with passing day.”
“I don’t know what’s wrong with me.”  Jonathan leaned forward and rested his head in his hands, looking out over the vast expanse of the universe.  “There seems to be no more purpose in life.”
“Is it because of Mia?” I asked.
Jonathan sighed as well.  “Yeah, I guess.”
“You know she would not want you to sulk like this.”
“I know, but I just keep wondering…what if she came back?”  My friend’s gaze became intense, his eyes searching the horizon of the universe.  “I know an angel like her couldn’t…it could never work between me and her, cause I’m human and she’s literally an angel.  If we ever had…if something had ever happened, I would have aged and she would have stayed young and beautiful.”
“It sounds like you are what you humans call ‘lovesick,’” I diagnosed.  Jonathan nodded.  I searched my database, trying to find all the information on lovesickness.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t much--it seems that lovesickness is an emotional disease, rather than a physical one.  However, my database told me that lovesickness can also have physical effects, such as wistfully gazing into nothingness like my friend Jonathan, in addition to overall loss of the will to live.  Unfortunately, physical ailments are my specialty, not mental ones.  I decided to try my best.
Coming to the conclusion that a few moments of silence would do him good, I too looked over the horizon of the universe.  It was beautiful--the stars and nebulae swirled and intertwined, colors bursting into purples, blues, blacks, and silvers.  The edge of the universe itself is very hard to explain.  It is like sitting on a ledge, but there is nothing exactly to sit on, while at the same time you are sitting on a substantial faintly black surface.  Beyond the universe is infinite space, and the edge of the universe varies as to how far space has been explored.  The concept is very hard to grasp and even partial understanding can only be attained by experiencing the edge of the universe oneself.
I decided that the moments of silence were sufficient.  “Jonathan,” I said, “let us go back to the spaceship.  I think it would be better to go inside and talk this out.”
Jonathan stood up, as did I.  “Okay C0L3.  Maybe it’ll help.”
“I believe it will.”  I have often wished that a robot like me could show emotion on my facial features, but alas, metal is rather unforgiving when it comes to accomplishing such feats.  If I could have smiled reassuringly at Jonathan, I would have.
As we turned to leave the edge of the universe, something caught my optic sensors and I looked back.  To my surprise, Mia was floating outside of the universe.  She was at a distance, and simply was hovering, her golden locks spread out behind her like they always did.  She smiled at me, a sad kind of smile, and I heard words as if coming from far off, “Take care of him for me, will you?”  I nodded.  She smiled and closed her eyes gently, then gave a small wave.  I followed Jonathan to the ship, storing her wish in my memory database.
---------
*cries just a little bit*
I'm going to write something funny one day and make you all laugh to make up for the times at least I maybe cried.  Just a little.
See ya' round, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!  :D
(I don't know what even was with that gif but heeeyyyyyy Thanksgiving vibes)
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment