Chapter 25: Relationships get tough


- Taylor's POV -

---------
Honestly, I was still in shock. The fact that both my dad and Henry had exploited me, for a business deal? My dad I could believe. But Henry…? It’s so hard to understand, I thought, trying not to cry. I thought he cared about me, I thought he was actually interested in dating me…and it turns out it was all to make money. It made me sick to my stomach. I wanted to throw up, or cry, or scream, or kick something, or all of them at once.
I walked toward the outside seating area, waving at Brandon as he drove away. I tried to smile. “Then again, he’ll know it’s fake because he can tell what I’m feeling,” I muttered. “Ugh.”
I decided to wait for Henry outside. After all, things could get dirty, and I didnt want to get in trouble at my own workplace. Composing all the nasty things I was going to say to him, I watched for his car.
Finally, it appeared. I smiled grimly. Time to wreck this joke.
“Hey babe,” Henry said as he strolled up. I stood up from the shaded table, crossing my arms. “Something wrong?” he asked, walking a little slower.
“Yeah, actually.” I tapped my foot to let out some of my nervous and angry energy. “Must be easy for a faker like you to sound genuinely concerned about me.”
“Babe, what do you mean?” He spread his hands in a gesture of complete confusion, as if it could cover up his lies. “What did I do?”
“What did you do?” I struggled to keep my voice under control. “What did you do. What did you do?” It rose to hysteria despite my efforts. “Only lied to me, that’s all.”
“I didn’t lie to you,” Henry protested.
I marched up to him and stuck a finger under his chin. “Yes, you did. You lied to me. You said you loved me. You told me I was beautiful. All because of some stupid fricking business deal with my own father! You lied to me to get to my family’s money!
“Babe, listen, I can--”
“Let me guess--you can explain?” I finished. “Yeah right. You used me. For the past month, you’ve been using me. Working behind my back for a business partnership. Oh, don’t you try and lie to me again,” I snapped as he opened his mouth. “I know all about it. You can’t back out of this one.”
Henry sighed. “Okay, you got me.”
I wasn’t expecting that. “Good,” I said, trying to sound like I expected nothing less.
“Can we at least part as friends? Look, I--”
“No. No, never,” I continued. “My dad is involved in this. My own dad used me, and you worked with him. I can never forgive him, and I’ll never forgive you. I thought you loved me.
“Tay, I’m sorry--”
My palm made a satisfying smack across his face. “Never speak to me again,” I spat.
And I walked away, not looking back, leaving him there.
***************
“Hey honey, you’re back early. How was your--”
I stormed to my room, flopped down on my bed, and sobbed my eyes out. The stress of the afternoon had been too much. My life was falling apart. I wanted to die.
NO! a voice in my head yelled at me. Nothing is so bad that you want to die. Plus, you can’t die. Brandon might die too, or he’d feel dead person emotions, and that’s just creepy. Your family and friends love you and don’t want you to die.
Okay, so I wanted to sleep. For, like, a really long time. And wake up when Dad was gone and my life was put together.
I felt my mattress move slightly as someone sat down beside me. “Sweetheart, what’s wrong?” Mom asked, rubbing my back. I sat up, looking at her with the tears coming down my face.
I explained everything to her. As she listened, her face darkened. When I finished, she looked as angry and disappointed as I was.
“I can’t believe that Mac would use you like that,” she exclaimed.
“I can,” I said grimly.
“Okay, but…” Mom trailed off. “I could understand him using me, or…whatever. But you? Never.”
“Mom, this is the last straw.” I crossed my legs. “He’s abused you both emotionally and physically, and now he’s been using me to make more money.” I took a deep breath. “If you don’t call the cops soon, I will.” She tried to protest, but I shushed her. “You can’t make excuses any longer. This should have been stopped a long time ago. We need help.”
Mom sighed. “You’re right, of course. On the bright side, you said that the deal would last as long as your relationship?” I nodded. “Well, congratulations--you just ruined Mac’s brilliant plan.”
I felt some sort of satisfaction. After he ruined my mom’s life, and now mine, it was only fair that I should ruin some of his.
“You should confront him about it at dinner tonight,” Mom suggested. “I’ll set up a video or something, in case he gets violent. We could use it as evidence.”
I raised my eyebrows. “Let’s hope he doesn’t get violent. He could probably really hurt me…”
“I promise I’ll step in if need be.”
“Thanks.” I reached out and took hold of her hand. “Do you think we can do this? Do you think you can get a divorce? Will we be okay?”
She looked into my eyes and smiled gently. “Of course. If it works, we might not be able to afford the same things, but with your income and mine I think we’ll be okay.”
“Good.” I smiled back at her.
***************
“Might want to be alone tonight,” I texted Brandon. “About to have a nice long talk with my dad.”
“Can I expect anger?”
“Definitely.”
“Noted. I’ll have a punching bag at the ready.”
I’d blocked Henry’s number.
Mom fixed tacos for dinner. Dad came in the dining room after we’d all sat down. He seemed in a good mood--which I was about to ruin. He even smiled at us when he sat down.
Isaac shot me a confused look. “What’s wrong with Dad?” he whispered. “He’s being nice to us.”
“He thinks everything is going his way,” I whispered back. “But it’s not.”
Isaac nodded at me sagely. He relayed this information to Elijah, who said “Ohhh.”
“So, Dad,” I said through a mouthful of taco, “how’s business?”
“Business is going great, thanks for asking,” Dad said. He wiggled his eyebrows. “Made a really great deal today, actually.”
“Oh really?” I feigned innocence. “Did it happen to be with Henry’s dad? Maybe lasting as long as my relationship with Henry?”
“Did he tell you?” Dad asked suspiciously.
“Definitely not,” I assured him. “I found out about your meeting today. Oh, and by the way, I broke up with Henry.”
“Yeah, right.” My dad rolled his eyes. “Taylor, you’re so desperate and needy that you couldn’t even break up with a man who was beating you.”
“Kind of like you’ve been beating Mom?” I asked sarcastically. “Except, there’s one difference. Mom is breaking up with you.”
“No she isn’t.”
“Actually, I am.” I could tell Mom was struggling to be brave. “I called a divorce lawyer today. I can’t take any more of this, Mac. The way you yell at me, hit me, ignore the kids--I can’t take it. I’m done.”
“No, you’re not.” Dad was getting angry now. I braced myself, ready to step in for my mother if need be. “You’re not getting a divorce. You’re staying here! You’re not going to take my house, my children, my money in a divorce! Look at all I’ve done for this family!” He gestured to the dining room. “Diana, you have a large house and enough money to be comfortable and afford things you like. What more do you need?!”
“What I need, Charles, is a husband who loves me!” Mom yelled back. “That is what I need!
Isaac and Elijah cowered. Mom never--ever--yelled, and hearing her now was nothing less than frightening. She stood up, fists on the table. Emilie started to cry. “You have ruined our household,” Mom said, her voice low and angry. “Our own kids have to listen to you yell at me for being an incompetent wife. You used my firstborn daughter as an asset in a business deal, without her knowledge. You are a disgrace.” Her voice became lower with each word. “And soon enough, you’ll be moving out of my house.”
“NO!” Dad’s voice shook the room as he slapped Mom full on the face. “NO I will not!” And he slapped her again.
“Dad, stop!” Elijah yelled. “Stop hurting her!”
“Shut your mouth! Or I’ll hurt you too!” he yelled. Emilie was screaming now. “I will never lose everything I’ve worked for to you!” he spat at Mom. Knocking his chair over, he stormed out of the dining room and slammed the front door.
Mom slumped back into her chair, the fight gone from her eyes. The twins were silent, their eyes wide. I unbuckled Emilie from her highchair and held her close, trying not to cry.
“Boys,” Mom said, “Dad and I aren’t going to be together for much longer.” Her voice shook. “You two are smart. I know you’ve noticed the way he…yells at me, and how we’re not sleeping in the same bedroom anymore. We’re going to get a divorce. Do you know what that means?”
“I do,” said Isaac. “James from my class has divorced parents. He stays with his mom one week and then his dad after that.”
Mom nodded, the red mark on her cheek starting to swell. “Right. Well, if I can help it, you won’t have to stay with Dad at all. He can probably afford a good lawyer, but there’s some evidence that can’t be ignored. Plus, I work at a law firm, so there’s that…anyway. I’m sorry you boys have to go through this.” She stood up, and both the boys hugged her. I shushed Emilie, whose crying had slowed. “I love you two.”
“I love you too,” chorused the twins, their voices muffled into her clothes. She smiled gently.
“Now, I’m going to have to call some people about what happened tonight, and since both of you were here, you might have to talk to somebody about it later on. Is that okay with you?” The boys nodded. “Good. But don’t tell anyone about what’s happening unless I tell you it’s okay. Now, go play some video games or something.”

Isaac and Elijah left, and us girls were left. I pulled Mom into a hug. She cried.
---------
(y'all ever like, graduate and stuff? cause that stuff makes you HECKA busy. anyways here's a chapter, very very late but i have plenty of reasons why i haven't posted since like march lol oof)
(sorry for the heavy content btw)

1 comment:

  1. Yay, you're alive!! Ugh... feel ya about school, and graduations, and future plans, and all that stuff. Best of wishes to you!

    Man... this is rough.. but really good! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete