My Illenya

Hi everyone!  :D
Okay, so--a few things:
1- I'm going to do my best to have a blogging schedule.  I'll aim to have something to post, whether it be Stealing Violets or a short story, every Tuesday.  Because it's summer, I should be able to keep it up.  Although inspiration is a fickle mistress and often doesn't show up (smh).
2- I'm writing this from the past because I just now remembered I can utilize the neat post scheduling tool thingie how cool is that so yeah Friday the 16th is when this post was written which I think is super mega cool.  Anyways, right now (Tuesday the future for me, Tuesday the present for you) I'm at camp.  Wahoo!
3- This short story was written for my friend Kiah's writing contest thing, so I had to use a prompt.  The prompt was as follows:


…which is rather ominous.  So, obviously, I wanted to make something completely terrible out of it.  With that expectation in mind, go grab some tissues and enjoy this heart-wrenching short story.  :)
---------
I thought of the past few hours as I walked, rubbing my bleary eyes.  
It had been an amazing night.  My childhood friend, Gavin, had come to stay with me in my castle.  His coming had been highly anticipated by most everyone in the capital city, and most of all by me.  The preparations were begun months beforehand--to be sure everything was perfect.  He hadn’t visited in years, and he and I had much to catch up on.  
I was in such high spirits that I threw a party for the whole capital city--there was food for everyone.  The entertainers and circuses took the time and publicity to make a pretty penny off the crowds, along with the dancers, charmers, musicians, and bards.
The banquet had lasted late into the night.  It was like Gavin and I had never been separated.  We had laughed and talked about how hard it was to run kingdoms and such.  All in all, it was an amazing time.  
I yawned.  I was on my way to my rooms, ready to get some sleep.  I strolled by unblinking guards who had managed to stay awake despite the fact that it was half past one in the morning.
The years had been good to Gavin.  He had become handsome, and his eyes sparkled when he smiled.  He had also brought his wife and small child for me to meet, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  My Illenya quickly became friends with Ariel.  The two had chatted the whole night long.
As I thought about Illenya, I smiled.  She was such a treasure to me.  My wife and I had been married for seven years, and she astounded me with her wit and beauty every day.  She had retired early, which wasn’t out of the normal.  Illenya was delicate and often slept before I did, especially as of late.  She often complained that it wasn’t easy to be with child.  I believed her--she usually appeared very tired.
I opened the door to my room slowly, lest I disturb her.  My angel, I thought.  My beautiful Illenya, asleep once more.
And then I froze.
There, on my bed, sat Gavin, with a knife to my terrified wife’s throat.
She was in her nightclothes; her hair down, powder washed off, jewelry removed.  Gavin looked just as I had seen him just minutes ago, except now he sat behind Illenya with her in his grasp and held a dagger.  The very fact that he was in my room with my wife would have made a maid gossip, but with a knife?!  I was immobilized; I was speechless.
Gavin’s blue-grey eyes were hard.  Illenya made as if to reach to me and speak, but he tightened his grip on her and the knife and she ceased.
“Wha--”  I finally found my voice.  “What is the meaning of this?” I said indignantly.  “Gavin, what are you doing in my room with my wife?”
My childhood friend smiled, a wicked smile.  “Oh, you know I couldn’t just let this chance pass up.”
“What are you talking about?  Release Illenya!”
“I don’t think so.”  Gavin looked at her, then back to me.  “She’s far too valuable to let go.  As to what I’m talking about, well, you’ll find out soon enough.”
“I’d like to find out right now, if you please!”  I moved toward Illenya, intending to find out what had possessed my friend to do this, but once again he pressed the dagger to her throat.
“One more move and she dies,” he spat.  I stopped, my heart beating rapidly.  Dies?!  My Illenya!  He would not kill her--he would not kill a woman with child, let alone his best friend’s wife!
“I will tell you what my plans are,” Gavin continued.  “I suppose you have a right to know, after all.  I had planned on getting this over with while you were still on your way here, but as you can see that didn’t happen.”  He gestured with the knife at the room.  “I’ll enjoy staying here.  It’s a very nice room, but I suppose one can afford a nice room when one’s as rich and popular as you.”  Was that an edge of bitterness in his voice? I wondered, panic rising in my chest.  What has come over him?
He shook his head.  “Ah, Lance.  It was always you.  We were raised together, childhood friends destined to heal years of fighting between our nations.  We were always so close.  But you,”--his voice hardened--“you were more popular than I ever was.  Your father was richer.  You had the promise of a bigger kingdom to inherit.  All the girls loved you.  You had everything you could ever want.”
“I don’t understand,” I stuttered.  “Gavin, you were a prince--now you’re a king!  How could you possibly want what little more I had than you?”
“Don’t you see?”  He shook his head as if to laugh at my ignorance.  “Those childhood realizations fueled the fire.  They fueled my fire.  The idea only hit me years later.  You see, with our friendship, it would create a vulnerability, a weakness.  It was a chink in the armor of your kingdom.  I only had to slip a knife through and into its ribs.  Our friendship meant trust, and that meant I could bring a small army into your walls without you having a second thought.”
I blinked.  “No…” I whispered.  “This can’t be happening.”
Gavin laughed again.  “Oh, I’m afraid it is happening.  I only had to send spies ahead of me, convince a portion of your army to join my side with promises of promotions and riches, and your kingdom was taken.  When I conquer your kingdom, I will join it and create an empire!”  His laughter was proud and mirthless.  It echoed in my bedchamber.
I shook my head.  “But…if you wanted my kingdom…why do you have my wife?”
The smile returned.  “That was the genius part of my plan.  I have learned that the death of a loved one is what ultimately breaks a man.”  Blood appeared on my Illenya’s white neck.  Her eyes grew large and she opened her mouth.
“No!” I cried.  “No, Gavin!  If you must, take me instead!  Take anything, all I have, but not my Illenya! Please!”
Gavin continued as if he had not heard me, his sinister smile widening.  “That is why this must happen.”
I lurched forward.
Illenya screamed.
With one smooth motion, he ripped the knife through her throat.
Her scream was cut short.  Time slowed.
Blood poured onto our sheets and she slumped down into a crumpled heap.
Half unbelieving, I let out a moan that slowly grew into a cry.  “Illenyaaaaaaaa!”
Gavin released his hold on my wife and leisurely climbed off my bed.  I rushed to Illenya, the tears streaming down my cheeks.  “No,” I sobbed.  “No, it can’t be.  This must be a dream.  This cannot be real!”  I cradled her lifeless form in my arms.  She was still warm.  “Illenya, my Illenya!” I cried, my tears wetting her beautiful face.  Her face that I would never again see smile.
Guards wearing my colors stepped in the room, but I barely noticed.  I held her in my arms, unable to fully accept that my Illenya and my firstborn child were gone.  “No…” I whispered as I rocked back and forth.  I looked up at my former closest friend.  “Gavin, what have you done?”
Gavin simply motioned to me.  “Take him to the dungeon,” he ordered my guards.  I kicked against them as they forced my hands off of Illenya’s body, but I was weakened by grief and disbelief.  They drug me from the room as I wept, unable to resist them.  My last glimpse of the room was Illenya lying on the bed and Gavin’s twisted smile.
My cries echoed down the halls and joined the screaming of my people. 
---------
Me while I was writing this:


I'm serious--I was so close to crying.  I'm close to crying right now as I edit ;~;
You might need to use those tissues now.  I'll give you a minute to clean yourself up.



Okay so all crying aside--did you like it?  Did I capture the heartbreak well enough?  Comments?  Questions?  Insults?  Constructive criticism?
I'll hopefully see you guys next Tuesday! <3
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment