Elderly Strife

Okay so hi everyone *waves tentatively*
I've written you all a short story :3
This lil short story is a little different.  As you've probably noticed, I'm terrible at writing conflict.  Like, terrible.  So with this one I tried to experiment with conflict a little more, exploring anger and grudges and some things that I didn't like writing.
I usually try to make even my short stories have happy endings, but this one really doesn't.  It kind of ends abruptly, which is what I was going for (because effects), but it really is kinda sad.  Just so you know.  ;~;
It was inspired by the following dialogue prompt (although it doesn't include the particular line):


So, here goes.
---------
A shrill ringing noise echoed throughout the empty house.  Muttering to herself, Linda picked up her new smartphone and looked at the screen.  She recognized the number displayed.  Patricia, she thought angrily.  “I’m definitely not answering this.”  Annoyed, she punched a button on the screen.  Not today, not ever.  I’m hanging up.  
“Hello?”  The voice came from the smartphone.  Linda cursed.  I pressed the wrong button.
She put the phone to her ear.  “Hello, Patricia.  Sorry I answered the call, I meant to hang up,” she said sarcastically.
“Oh it’s you, Linda.”  Patricia’s angry voice lost none of its negativity through the phone.
“Why don’t you come over some time?  We could have some elderberry wine, maybe I could poison you or something,” Linda suggested.
“It’s been fifty years since you stole Charles from me, you little mulch,” Patricia spat.  “I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that I will end you.”
“You don’t even own a bonnet, Patricia.”  Linda rolled her eyes and made her tone as salty as she could.  “And you know Charles died six years ago.  You should really get over it.”
“Speak for yourself!  And saying you want to poison me…bah!”
“I’m hanging up.”
“Fine!”
Linda pulled the phone away from her ear and tapped the little red telephone.  “It’s been fifty years,” she said, trying to navigate the phone.  Her nephew had attempted to educate her on the workings of the stupid thing, but she still had no clue what she was doing.  She grumbled as she tried to find the telephone application again.  She needed to call Bill anyway.
Another call popped up and she tried to turn off the phone but accidentally hit the “accept call” button.
“And another thing!” Patricia yelled into the receiver.  Linda winced and held the phone away from her ear.  “Don’t think that just because our children have decided to elope it makes anything different for us!”
“Well you can just go and--wait a second,” Linda said as she realized what her one enemy had just said.  “Our children…eloped?”
“Yes, my Nathan and your Jillian.”  Patricia huffed.  “Didn’t you hear?”
Slowly, Linda felt around for a chair and sank into it.  She was speechless.  
“Hello?”
“I…I’m still here,” the elderly woman stuttered.  “You…You mean, Jillian ran away with Nathan?”
“Yes,” Patricia said bitterly.  “Just last night.  I got a call this morning.”
“I…oh.”  Blinking, Linda tried her best to process what had just happened.  She couldn’t.  Jillian…and Nathan?  How?  How did I not see it?
“Are you still there?”
“Yes.”
“I tried calling Nate,” Patricia rambled on, “but he didn’t pick up the phone.  Nathan is far too good for your Jillian, if you ask me.  I just think that--”
Linda pulled the phone away from her ear and ended the call.  I can’t believe it, she thought, half of her unable to believe Patricia. Jillian, my darling, my baby, Charles’ favorite daughter…with Nathan?  
She dropped the phone to the wood floor with a clatter.
The sound echoed throughout the very empty house, joined by her frail sobs.
---------
See what I mean?
I'm really sorryyyyyyyyy it almost makes me cry as I edit it ;~;
So like tell me what you think in the comments because idk man
Also the fam wants to watch The Sixth Sense tonight and I am 0% okay with horror movies so I'll be in my room making no noise and pretending I don't exist writing so I'll have something to offer you guys later aw yiss
Anyways, I feel like my blog is slowly becoming meh so maybe I'll do something fun and interesting to revamp it idk what do you think????
Okay tell me what you think / etc and I'll hopefully see you all soon :)
~~zoë wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment