Accidentally Eavesdropping

I TOLD YOU I'D BE BACK AND HERE I AM BACK WITH A LLAME LITTLE STORY
This one is inspired by a Reddit writing prompt (thanks Reddit).  It's also a little bit of a different thing because there's not a climax.  This is something I'm not used to doing, so it's good practice.
I'm not gonna do much of an intro here cause eh I don't feel like it.
Here's the prompt:


---------
I stroll along in the park, hands in my pockets.  It’s very relaxing for me--the sounds of nature surround me and I soak in the sights.  It’s a beautiful spring day.
However, it’s a bit noisy.
You see, I was born with the uncanny ability to understand animals.  My whole life has never been quiet.  I can understand the birds, the squirrels, the groundhogs, the lions in the zoo…everything.
“Hey!  Hey!  Hey!”  
My walk has been interrupted for the first time today.  I look to the side.
A beagle runs up to me and jumps, his paws on my chest.  “Hey!  Hello!  You are new!  I like you!”  He pants in my face, blowing dog breath all over me.  
I grin.  “Hey boy!  What’s up?”
“Not much!  But the ball is good and sometimes the master throws it!”  The dog pants some more and licks my face.  I laugh and pet him.
The dog’s owner runs up to me and apologizes.  I shrug her off.  “It’s totally fine.  He’s a good boy!”  I wink at the dog and he grins toothily.  
“Goodbye, human!”  The duo depart, the beagle dashing ahead of his owner.  I shake my head with a smile.  The dogs are usually all the same, with their constant energy and limited vocabulary.  
I continue my walk, shoving my hands back into my pockets.  Soon I come upon three chickadees perched on a bench, twittering away.  I can’t help but feel bad as I eavesdrop.
“And I told her you can just get your feathery little butt away from my man!” one tweets angrily.  The other two nod their heads and make sympathetic bird noises.  “I mean, the nerve of that bird!”
“Indeed!”
“Say it, sister!”
I raise an eyebrow.  Typical birds.
“There she is!” the first bird exclaims.  “Look!”
“Let’s go get her and tell her what for!” her friend suggests.  The three birds take off abruptly, flying high into the sky.  I crane my head to see where they’ve gone.  The trio chases what sounds like a titmouse.  All of the birds are screeching.  It hurts my ears.  I walk faster.
I stroll by several squirrels talking about politics.  I pause next to them and listen.  I’d love to chime in, but I’d scare them off.  Actually, I agree with them on the state of this nation’s economy.  They give me some interesting topics to think about, and I ramble away aimlessly as I ponder their points.
Another voice comes from somewhere close.  “Hey kids, you wanna buy some catnip?”
Startled, I find the source of the voice.  It’s a mangy old cat.  Most of his fur is gone, and one of his eyes is closed and oozing some strange substance.  He’s half hiding behind a trashcan.
Two wide eyed kittens stand in front of the cat.  They have collars on, so I know they’re not strays.  “What’s catnip?” one asks innocently, his voice high and squeaky.
Oh dear.  I search for the kittens’ owner, hoping I can save them.  There’s a woman sitting on a bench a few steps away, her face buried in a book.  I go and tap her on the shoulder.  “Miss, are those your kittens…?”
She looks up and follows my pointing finger.  “Oh!” she exclaims, jumping up rapidly.  “Yes, they are!  Dawn, Star, what are you doing?”
The woman darts off.  Thankfully, the catnip dealer hisses and retreats behind his trash can, running away to find some other kitten to addict to the substance.  I’ve heard so many cats talk about it.  It’s a terrible thing, much like a drug to them.  Once you’ve tasted it, there’s no going back.
Now I’m talking like I’m a cat.  I journey back to my apartment, thinking over my gift.  Or curse, depending on how you look at it.  Each animal I listen to has a different dialect, vocabulary, and topic of interest.  Each one opens my eyes to a new world and a new way of living life.  The dogs tell me to live in the moment and be happy.  The birds show me not to worry about my life.  The lions…well, the lions talk about meat and how good it is.  But for the most part, each animal is carefree and curious.  They’re not worried about tomorrow.  They don’t even care about where they’ll find their next meal.  
One day I hope to live life like they do.
---------
So yeah!  Fun stuff.
Tell me what you thought of my attempt at an inspiring thing.  I kinda hope to be like the animals in this instance.  One life goal of mine is to kinda seize the moment, take chances, and let the hopeless poetic inside me run off into the sunset.  If that makes sense.
Hopefully I'll be back soon with some more quality content™.  Until then, ttfn!
~~zoë wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment