Chapter 9: Chatting with Cyronix

I love Cyronix :3
He's one of my favorite characters that I've created.  But then again, I didn't really create him.  *sneaky smile*
---------
CHAPTER 9
If I was a dragon, Marcy thought, where would I be?  
She had been roaming around outside the house for half an hour, exploring the backyard and thinking about how much she wanted to go home.  Finally shaking herself out of the despondent feelings, she had decided she was done wallowing and it was time to find the dragon.  
He said his name was Cyronix…weird name.  So far she’d found a magnificent patio, complete with a small outdoor kitchen, in addition to the garden and orchard, all behind the house.  She was presently rambling aimlessly in the orchard.
I guess I can try and look in the woods.  Turning, she walked in the opposite direction.  From what she could see, the forest was small and underbrush was scarce.  Maybe he has a cave somewhere in there.  Do dragons live in caves?
Entering the forest, she strolled around, looking for any kind of hump which would signify a cave.  She saw none.  Guess that means I’ve got to deeper in.  Ugh, she thought.  If I walk into a spiderweb I’m going to scream.  The forest was not in the least bit threatening so far.  But my last experience in a pretty forest wasn’t that nice.  I trust Aunt--I trust my mom, but what if there’s stuff in here she doesn’t know about?  What if Matt is in here?  I definitely don’t want to be choked again.  She shook her head, still pressing on through the trees.  If I’m going to find Cyronix, I can’t think like this.  If there’s anything threatening in here, Jenny would tell me.  “Where can he be?” she said loudly.  
“Are you perhaps speaking of me?” asked a voice behind her.  Marcy turned to see the dragon, looking at her kindly.
“How do you always end up behind me?” she said.  Wow, I’m not even afraid at all. Interesting.   “You’re the most silent dragon I’ve met.”  And also the only dragon I’ve met.
“I’ve had much practice.”  Cyronix chuckled.  His scales shone in the afternoon sun.  “Two hundred thirty-one years, to be precise.”
“Woah, seriously?”
“It’s true.  I’m actually quite young for a dragon, around the equivalent of a 17 year old human, I believe,” he stated.  
I’ve never met any 17 year old human who talks like you do, she thought to herself.  “Crazy.”
“So, Miss Marcy, you were looking for me?” he inquired.  
“Yeah, actually.”  Marcy looked at her feet, suddenly unsure of herself.  “I’m not sure why, really.  I think I just wanted to see you again, cause I wanted to get a better look at you and I--”
“You’re finding it hard to believe all this, aren’t you?” Cyronix finished for her, nodding knowingly.  “And you wish it hadn’t happened.”
“How did you know?” she asked in wonder.  “That’s exactly it!”
“Dragons have a unique ability to sense the emotions of those around them, particularly humans.  Yours are quite obvious.  I think you need a distraction, and maybe you can tell me how you feel.”  He blinked at her gently.  “Let’s go to my cave.”
“Oh, so you do have a cave?”  Marcy laughed a little, trying to lighten the awkward mood.  “Wow, my movie watching really payed off.”  
“Ah yes, movies.”  The dragon began to lumber off to the left, motioning with a wing for her to follow.  “Miss Jenny occasionally rents one from a library on Earth and brings it here for us to watch.  She sets up a projector and plays it on the side of the house.  They’re quite fascinating, really.”  
“Yeah, they’re pretty cool.”  They walked in silence for a while.  Then Marcy spoke up again.  “So, do you like living here?”
Cyronix paused and looked at her quizzically.  “What do you mean?”
She blushed.  “Well, like, is it like Earth?  Oh, wait,” she said quickly, “you’ve never been to Earth, right?  I’m pretty sure if you went, everyone would think you’re some kind of freak.  I mean, not a freak, but…we sure don’t have live dragons back home.”  She blushed again.  Ugh, I’m probably offending him.  What if he roasts me with fire because I’m such an idiot?
“I most likely would seem at least strange,” the dragon responded, not seeming to notice her burgundy face.  “You humans might think I’m one of your movie props that somehow came to life.”
“Yeah.  Hey, I’m sorry if I’m offending you,” Marcy quickly interjected.  “In our movies and books and stuff you always have to be really polite to dragons.”  She looked at her feet.  “Maybe I shouldn’t have called you a freak.”
Not breaking his lumbering stride, Cyronix simply chuckled.  “Miss Marcy, your stories are right--typically, humans are to be polite to dragons.  However, I recognize your inexperience and I won’t make you go up in flames if you blunder.  Believe me, I’ve met humans--and many other creatures, really--who have no respect for anyone, let alone dragons.”  He gave her a toothy smile.  “Don’t worry.  You’re doing quite well.”  Turning, he pointed with a wing toward a large mound.  “Here’s my cave!  Come on in.  I know it’s not what you humans typically think of as home, but you do tend to like what dragon caves hold.”
Treasure!  Marcy thought excitedly.  Dragons have treasure!  “You mean gold stuff?” she asked Cyronix, trying to appear outwardly calm.  
“That’s it!”  The dragon lumbered into the cave and she saw a light flare from within.  “Well, come join me!  I know you’re dying for a look.”
Trying not to walk too fast, Marcy followed Cyronix into the cavern.  She gasped.  
Three torches set in sconces on the rock walls gave off a warm light.  But Marcy didn’t care about the source of the brightness.  
The cave was filled with gold.  Gold coins, cups, jewelry, and armor shone in every inch of the cave, piled in massive heaps.  Everything was gold.  Cyronix was nestled in between two large mounds, proudly looking on as she gaped at his collection.  “Woah…this is all yours?” she asked, amazed.  
“Every bit of it,” he answered self-consciously.  “But you must understand, I never kill anyone for my treasure.  All of this was gained through my travels with Jenny.  We have gathered it by means of trading and other honest ways.”  Marcy was still gazing around the room, nearly blinded by the reflections of the torchlight.  She was barely listening.  Cyronix continued.  “I can’t say the same for others of my kind.  Many dragons will do anything for gold.”
Marcy finally shook out of her trance and focused on the dragon.  “Why do you always have it?  Gold, I mean.”
He looked thoughtful.  “Well, being surrounded by precious metals helps our bodies to work better, something like a healing or rejuvenating process.  It also comforts us, like the way a corner full of pillows would comfort a human.”
They sat in silence for a while again, Marcy looking at one particular pile of gold with a large sapphire resting on the edge.  Wonder how much that costs…there must be a fortune in here!
“So, tell me about how you feel.”  Cyronix rearranged himself, causing gold coins to clatter to the floor.  “I know you must be feeling strange, being here.”
Marcy gazed at the sapphire.  “Yeah.”  She looked up, and met the intense gaze of the dragon.  “I guess I’m doubting a little.  I mean, in one day I found out that my parents aren’t really my parents, my aunt is actually my mom and a wizard too, and my dad is a crazy psychopath who almost killed me.”  Marcy sat in an armchair placed against the wall of the cave.  She picked up a golden necklace and fiddled with it.  “It’s kind of a lot to take in.”
“And how do you feel about the magical aspect of it?” asked the dragon.  
“I’m not sure yet.  I mean, I’m having a conversation with a dragon, and I’m pretty sure I’m not dreaming…”  She paused to pinch herself.  “Ow!  Yep, not dreaming.  I’m almost expecting it to all be a huge prank, though.  It’s very unbelievable.  I mean, magic?  That’s just the stuff that’s in movies and legends.”
“Ah, but legends are based on truth.”  Cyronix gave her a wise look.  “And man has a strange way of almost believing in magic, so much that he writes books, screens movies, and imagines all about it.  But he never quite gets to the place of believing it.  He only believes in science and material things he can touch.  And that’s where he goes astray.”
Cyronix is one wise dragon, Marcy thought.  “Well, it does seem kind of impossible,” she responded.  “Maybe that’s just the human in me talking, though.”  She looked around.  “But, here I am, having a conversation with a dragon in a cave full of gold after watching my aunt who’s really my mom slice cheese with a floating knife.”  The long run-on sentence made her almost out of breath.
“Indeed.”  The dragon chuckled.  “As I believe you humans say, it’s a crazy world.  For now, I suggest that you just wait and see where the river takes you, so to speak.  There’s not much else you can do.”
Marcy sighed.  “Guess so.”  I just want to go home.
***************
After chatting with Cyronix for a while longer, Marcy sensed that he was done talking to her.  She had enjoyed his company, and thanked the dragon for his time.  Then she took her leave of the cave and explored the forest for a while in the dying sunlight.
As she strolled around the trees, she pondered what she should do.  The dragon had given her some good advice.  For now, the best thing to do is just go with the flow.  That’s what I’ll do, I suppose.  Cyronix was right--I can’t do much else.  She paused to bend down and pick a wildflower.  I hate not being in control.
She walked back to the house, picking the petals off of the flower as she went.  Twilight had come, and she realized she was famished.  Wow, Marcy thought, I’ve been out here for a long time.
The back door opened and Jenny peeked her head out.  “Ah!  There you are.  I was about to ask Cyronix to come and find you.  He said that you guys might be talking at some point.”
That dragon knows way too much, thought Marcy.  How did he know I wanted to talk to him even before I came looking for him?  Creepy.  Out loud, she responded to her mother.  “Yep, we spoke a little.”  
“Good.”  Jenny nodded.  “I often find him therapeutic when I’m in need of a listening ear.  Come on in, I made some dinner.”
Marcy’s stomach grumbled and she momentarily forgot how miserable she was.  When she entered the house, the aroma of bacon and eggs hit her nose and she was suddenly aware of how hungry she really was.  Her mouth watered.  In the kitchen she saw bacon, eggs, biscuits, country ham, toast, and, of course, applesauce.  For a moment she was speechless.  “You really went all out on this one, huh?” she said when she regained her voice.
“Yep!”  Jenny looked proud of herself.  “I know it looks like a lot, but I always make big meals so I can have leftovers later.  And, I’ll have to admit, I may have used a bit of magic when I made some of this.”  
At that moment, Marcy didn’t care how the food was made.  She just wanted to eat.  Jenny, noticing her daughter’s ravenous look, ushered her to her chair and they began to eat.  The food was delicious, and Marcy made sure her mother knew.  “I’m used to spaghetti o’s and whatever’s in the fridge,” she said while trying not to shovel the delicious meal into her mouth all at once.  “This is like prime cuisine.”
“I’m glad you like it,” Jenny laughed.  “I really do love to cook.  It kind of soothes my soul, I think.”  She meaningfully gazed into the distance, then laughed again.  “Oh, sometimes I make myself laugh.”
Marcy laughed as well.  Well, if I could have any weird wizard lady to be my real mom, I’m glad it’s Jenny.  She’s hilarious
After the meal, she helped her mother clean up the dishes and put away the leftovers.  Suddenly she had a random thought.  “Wait, so if this is a remote space, then there’s no electricity, right?” she asked as she spooned the eggs into a container.
“Nope, there’s absolutely no electricity,” Jenny agreed, bending to put a plate into the dishwasher.  
“So how do you power the lights and the fridge and stuff?”
Jenny winked.  “This ingenious thing called energy.  I don’t use electricity like you think of it.  I have a large container in the basement that holds a powerful energy source.  It’s shaped like a pyramid and it’s blue and glows and sparks like it’s alive.”  She wiggled her fingers at her daughter.  “It supplies me with all the energy I need.  I’ve just hooked all of the wires I need up to it.  And it’s so much more efficient and better for the environment.”
“Oh.”  Marcy blinked.  “Snazzy.”
“It’s incredibly snazzy.  And it’s the only one of its kind, as far as I know,” said Jenny in a confidential tone.  “There’s a lot of people who would pay a great deal of money for it.  But since I live on a little-known space, there’s a very small risk of it being stolen.”  She shrugged.  “Hopefully it never is stolen.  I’d hate to loose my electricity!”
“For real,” agreed Marcy.  She looked around and dusted her hands off.  There was nothing else to put away.  “Well, the kitchen’s clean.”
“Now what do you want to do?” inquired Jenny.
“Um…well I’m kind of tired,” she answered, punctuating her reply with a fake yawn.  I really am tired, she thought.  But I also don’t want to be awkwardly hanging out with Jenny…I mean Mom.  That sounds so weird.
“Okay,” Jenny said, snapping her daughter out of her thoughts.  “Well, you know where your room is.  I’m actually pretty tired, too.”  She yawned as well.  “I’ll be off to bed then.  Good night!”
“G’night,” Marcy replied.  She traipsed to her room and put on her pajamas.  Flopping on her bed, she turned off the lamp beside her and stared at the ceiling.  It was very dark.  In my room on Earth, I have a nightlight plugged up to the wall, Marcy absentmindedly remembered.  Guess I never really noticed how much of a difference it makes.  She turned over and pulled the covers up to her chin.  Well, a lot has happened today.  I don’t know if I’m looking forward to tomorrow.  I wonder how that Wizard Convention thing will go…  She drifted off to sleep and dreamed of vines choking her, Cyronix bursting in to rescue her.
---------
Hint: the blue energy box is important.  :]
Also, feedback is appreciated.
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment