Chapter 7: Family Reunion

Do you like Alex?  I do.  And so we return.
---------
CHAPTER 7
A man sat in a chair in the room.  It was simple, with little decorations and plain rock walls.  There was a fireplace carved out of one wall, and a fire roared inside it.  A few rugs lay on the ground, made from some kind of animal skin.  But Marcy wasn’t interested in the furnishings.
“That’s right.  It’s me,” the man said calmly in response to her scream.  His voice had a hint of British in it, much like the evil villains in movies.  “Alex, tie her please.”  She turned to run out of the room but found that the curtain door had gone, and solid rock replaced it.  Marcy screamed.  Vines grew rapidly up from the earth below her, tying her to the ground.  Her ankles were bound, as were her wrists, and she was pushed up against the wall by the vines on her feet.  A large vine crept across her face, forcing her mouth open and effectively gagging her.  Marcy was very aware of Alex standing by, making strange motions with his hands.  She tried to scream against the gag but only managed a gurgle.  “Now, Alex, that’s inhospitable,” the man in the chair chided smoothly.  “Please ungag our guest.”  
Alex, appearing reluctant, waved his hand.  The vine left her mouth.  However, the others tightened on her skin.  
“What do you think you’re doing?” Marcy yelled, confused.  “I’m not an enemy!  And you have nothing against me!  Ouch!  These vines hurt!  Why did you tie me up anyway?”
“So many questions.”  The man chuckled.  “Do you even know who I am?”  He sat on the simple wooden chair like it was a throne, one hand resting on the armrest, one on his chin.  Marcy had already noticed his plain jeans and maroon tee shirt, which looked normal, but he also wore a strange green cape secured around his neck with a gold chain.  There was a golden stud in his ear as well.
“Yeah,” Marcy said.  “Untie me!  I’m not a threat to you!”  Her mind was working overtime.  Why is Alex not freeing me? she thought frantically.  Did I do something wrong?  And where have I seen that man before?
“Answer my question, dear Marcy,” chided the man, smiling slightly.  For some reason, there wasn’t an ounce of mirth in the expression.
“How do you know my name?” she asked, shocked.  In reply, the man rose quickly, strode over to her, clutched her chin, and forced it upward.  “Who am I?” he asked, voice quiet, hand strong on her chin.
“I…urgh, I…don’t know!” Marcy choked.  She tried to reach up and grab his hands and remove them from her neck but her handcuff vines tightened again.  Her eyes darted to where Alex stood, a satisfied smile on his face.  “Why does it matter?  Agh…why do you care?” she coughed, struggling.
“Ah, so she hasn’t told you…”  The man stepped away from Marcy.  She gasped for breath.  The man smiled.  “My name is…well, my name is Zalic, but you can call me Matt.  That’s the name I gave your mother when I met her.”
“My mom?”  She was confused.  Thoughts ran through her head, as fast as lightning.  What does he mean?  Does he know my mom?  How?  How come I’ve never heard of him?
Matt put a hand to his mouth and gave a small fake gasp.  “Oh!  So they hadn’t told you yet?  Well, I’m afraid it’ll be quite a shock when you find out.”
“Find out what?”
“Well, my dear, Jenny is your mother.  And I am your father.”
Marcy’s face went blank.  “Excuse me?”
“Yes, it’s true.”  Matt laughed quietly and walked to a shelf set into the rock wall.  She followed him with her eyes.  “I met Jenny on one of my…travels, we shall say.  She helped me complete a task and she fell in love with me along the way.  I admit, I had feelings for her as well, but I couldn’t let my emotions get in the way of my real purpose.  I came with her to Earth for a while, about two years.  When she told me she was pregnant--with you--I decided it was time to exit the scene.  I left her and came here, a remote planet which was quite beautiful when I arrived, much like you viewed it outside the cave.  Jenny created the portal you used to get here and came to find me.  We had a fight, and then I revealed my…true self to her.”  He drew his fingers across the shelf and tsked at the dust which coated them.  “Alex, you’ve been neglecting your duties.  You know I like order.  Make sure you don’t forget to dust next time.”  Marcy looked at Alex and saw him pale, then bow his head.  “Yes sir.”
“Now, where was I?” Matt rhetorically asked Marcy.  “Oh yes.  I told your mother that I was done with her, that she had only served my purposes.  She was quite angry.  We battled for a bit--did you know your mother is a wizard?”
“What?  Aunt Jenny, a wizard?” she exclaimed, disbelief written on her face.
“Yes indeed she is, and, as the British would say, a ‘whopping’ good one, too.  Very powerful.  One of the reasons I chose her.”
“Okay, so, hang on.”  Marcy said, leaning forward.  “So if Aunt Jenny is my mom, and you’re my dad, then who are the people I live with right now?”  She sat back triumphantly.  “You guys can’t be my parents.”
“Sorry, darling, but we are.  The people you live with are, indeed, Mr. and Mrs. Stell.  Jenny and Damion are siblings.  I met your ‘parents’ when I came to Earth with Jenny.  They thought I was simply one of Jenny’s boyfriends, just one she was more serious about.  Your mother was a beautiful woman, and she still is.”  Matt’s face clouded.  “But that means nothing.  The Stells were unable to have children and once I left, Jenny panicked and realized she couldn’t raise you alone.  She didn’t have a permanent job, then.  Your ‘parents’ offered to take you in and raise you as their own child, once you were born.  And so, you grew up believing that the Stells were your real parents.  Jenny agreed to be called an ‘aunt’ and moved down to South Carolina--far enough to be distant but close enough to be there if anything happened to you.  She tried to destroy the portal, but couldn’t, and so she never went into it again.  I made this world my home.  To everyone who doesn’t know this exists, it is invisible.”  Matt swiveled on his heel and turned to her, tapping a finger on his chin.  “I believe that’s everything you don’t know.  Alex, have I left anything out?”
“I don’t think so, sir,” the boy said.
“Let’s allow all that information sink into our guest for a moment.  Marcy, excuse us.”  Her father beckoned for Alex to follow as he walked out of the cave.  “And keep her bonds going, Alex,” she heard him say as his voice faded down the tunnel.
Her heart was beating so hard, Marcy thought it might jump out of her chest.  How could that guy be my dad? she thought panickedly.  He couldn’t be!  Could he?  I have pictures with me and Mom in the hospital…wait.  None of the pictures have Mom laying down in a hospital bed with me…and Aunt Jenny is there beside me.  How?  Is this all true or is this Matt guy lying to me?  She had a bad feeling about him.  Maybe it was the way he looked, or acted.  But I know for sure that he would probably hurt someone who offended him.  How is this even be real?  I have to be dreaming!  Painstakingly, she moved her hand to her thigh and pinched her skin.  “Ow!  I feel real.  But this has to be a dream!”
“I’m afraid it’s no dream, sweetheart.”  Matt was back.  Alex entered the cave behind him, fingers contorted.  Marcy figured he was still holding the vines in place.  “It’s all very real.”
“So what are you going to do with me?” she asked, trying to look brave.  Act like you’re in a movie.  Be confident.
Matt shot a thoughtful look at Alex.  “Hm, what should we do to her?  I believe we’ve run out of poison, correct?”  
Alex nodded.  “I meant to make some yesterday.”
“See to it you don’t forget to collect the necessary ingredients as soon as possible.  Now, what to do, what to do…”  The tall man strode around the room, peeking in cupboards and sneaking looks at Marcy’s terrified face.  “I suppose I could just let her go, if she promised to never tell anyone of our little meeting…”
Frantically, she nodded.  “Never ever, I swear!”
“…But that’s not safe,” finished her father.  “Ah!” he exclaimed.  “I know just the thing.  I’ll make her forget, and darling, if you try to remember, you’ll be subject to some excruciating pain.  So I would not advise it.”  He stepped over to her and placed his hands on her temples.  Marcy struggled, whipping her head from side to side.  “Be still, child!” Matt barked.  “Or I’ll make you!”  
“NO!” she screamed.  “Let me go!”  His hands tightened on her head, hurting her, and his expression was that of pure delight.  “OW!  Stop it!”  A needle-like pain shot through her brain, and another, and another.  She screamed again, wordless now.  Alex looked like he was going to be sick.
Suddenly, through the shooting pain in her head, Marcy saw the rock wall ripple, and Jenny burst through it.  “Let her go, Zalic!” she yelled.
Matt turned quickly, releasing Marcy’s head.  She slumped against the wall, temples throbbing.  “Jenny!” the man called.  “How nice of you to join us!  And dear, don’t call me Zalic.  I’ve told you before, my name to you is Matt.”
“Shut up!” she said, standing defensively.  “Okay then, it’s been awhile, Matt.  How have you been?”
“Well, thanks, and you?”
“Fine.  Step away from my daughter.”  Jenny’s voice firmed
Matt stepped back, a hand on his heart and a hurt expression on his face.  “Your daughter?  I believe you’re forgetting she is our daughter.”
“You released the right to be her father when you left me,” said Jenny quietly.  She twisted her hands in a strange motion and the vines encircling Marcy released, shriveling into dust.  Alex cried out and fell to the ground, clutching his stomach.  Shakily, Marcy got to her feet and dashed to Jenny.  “I see you’ve found an assistant, Matt.  But I don’t sense a particular affinity in him.  Strange,” Jenny mused.  “But who you take in is none of my concern.  My daughter and I will be leaving now.  I don’t suggest following me.”  She backed up slowly, gently pushing Marcy behind her.
“Oh, we won’t,” said Matt calmly.  “Not this time.  Don’t you worry.  Get along now, go on!  I have work to do.”
Jenny turned and left the room, her daughter rapidly walking before her.  Marcy heard Alex talking as they went down the tunnel.  “We’re going to follow them, right?” he asked.  
“No, not at the moment,” answered her father.  “I need you to help me with something…”
They came to the tunnel’s end and Jenny brushed aside the honeysuckle for Marcy.  She stepped out.  As soon as they were out of earshot, Jenny swiveled to face her daughter and put her hands on Marcy’s face.  “Are you okay?  Did he hurt you?” she asked anxiously.  
“No, I’m fine,” Marcy answered.  “Are you sure?” Jenny persisted.
“I’m perfect.  The Matt guy just kind of hurt my head a little bit.  I’m fine, really.”  Jenny let out a strange sound and hugged her.  “I’m so glad you’re okay!”  I guess I’d think it was creepy that she was this worried if I didn’t know that she’s my mom, thought Marcy.  She gently pushed Jenny away.  “How did you know I was here?”
“The time passes a bit differently here,” her mother--kind of weird to think of her as my mom--answered.  “Let’s walk as we talk, we’ve got to get back to the portal.  The time thing has something with the theory of relativity, you probably haven’t learned about it in school yet.  Anyway, I got home about five o’clock, as usual, but you weren’t there.”
“It’s five already?  What in the world?”  Marcy glanced at her watch.  Sure enough, it read 5:30.  “How…?”
“Time passes more quickly at home than here,” answered Jenny.  “About every twenty minutes here, it’s an hour back on Earth.”
“Creepy,” Marcy mused.
“Yep.  When I got home you weren’t at the house, and I asked Seth if he’d seen you, but he said he hadn’t since lunch.  And also that you’d found the portal coordinates.  So I came here as quick as I could.”  She walked faster.  “We need to hurry, I don’t know what Matt is planning and we need to get to my other house.  And try not to touch much, the whole ‘beautiful planet thing’ is an illusion.  It’s really a junk pit out here.”
Marcy ran to catch up, now trying to avoid stepping on anything, which was difficult.  “Ew, that’s gross.  Your other house?  You have more than one?”
“Yes, I have one on a space.  Earth isn’t my only home, as you probably know by now,” she added wryly.  Suddenly, she stopped walking.  “Here’s the portal.”
Marcy looked around.  She didn’t see anything.  “Where is it?” she asked, confused.  
“Right…”  Jenny closed her eyes and felt around in the air.  “Ah!  Here.”
Shaking her head a little, Marcy blinked.  A shining outline of a rectangle had appeared in the glade.  It was silvery and the middle was completely transparent.  “What in the world…?  I thought portals were supposed to be oval!”
“Portals aren’t supposed to be any shape,” her mother said briskly.  “Some wizards’ portals are triangular, and you should totally see the 3D ones.  They make your eyes hurt.  Come on, in you go.  Just step through.”
Hesitantly, Marcy touched the portal.  It tickled her fingers and she unexpectedly smelled donuts cooking.  She inhaled deeply.  But is it safe? she thought.  What if she’s tricking me?
“I wouldn’t trick you,” Jenny said quietly.  “Trust me.  I’m your mother.  I would never lie to you.”
Strangely, Marcy felt like she could trust Jenny.  And I guess she didn’t really lie to me, either.  It was just…my…other mom and dad that said she was my aunt.  Okay, I’m going to do it.  She held her breath, closed her eyes, and stepped through the portal--
--she whirled through space and time, colors flashing behind her eyelids, and still smelled donuts.  She could almost hear them sizzling in a pan.  Mmmm…now I want donuts--
--and then she tumbled out of the portal onto soft grass.  “Ugh!  Now I’ll have grass stains on my clothes!” she said, frustrated.  She stood up and brushed off her clothes, investigating the spots.  Jenny stepped out of the portal behind her and it vanished with a pop.  “You’ll get the hang of it eventually,” she laughed.  “My house is over there.  I can alter your clothes too, so they’ll be more suited for this space and also cleaner.”
“Sounds good, I guess,” Marcy grumbled.  “But I like these clothes.”
“Don’t worry, when we get back to Earth we can go shopping.”  Jenny laughed again.  “And this space doesn’t have weird time.  Right now, it’s the same time as on Earth.”
“Good.”
“Let’s go, it’s just over there.”  Jenny started to walk and Marcy followed her, looking around as she went.  They had landed in a field which stretched as far as she could see.  The grass was thick and luscious, and every so often there was a tree.  Behind them was a forest which looked similar to the one on Zogomath, with mountains far beyond it.  Before them was an average sized house, built out of the same materials as Marcy often saw on Earth.  It looked strange, like it was accidently plopped in the middle of a field on a planet that wasn’t Earth.  Which might have been what happened, she thought with a smirk.
“Well hello, Miss Jenny,” a voice thundered from behind them.  Marcy turned, screamed, and jumped backwards.  A giant dragon was looking down at them both in a quizzical manner.  It was big, about the size of a trailer home.  Its scales were brown, grey, and silver, and although the colors were not bright, they shimmered in the sunlight.  The dragon peered at them, silver eyes curious.  “Have you brought us a visitor?”
“Yes indeed I have,” answered Jenny.  “Marcy, this is my dragon, Cyronix.  Cyronix, meet my daughter, Marcy.”
“Oh.”  The dragon blinked.  “So this is her?”  He moved his head closer.  Marcy fell to the ground and scrambled backwards, her eyes still warily on the dragon.  Cyronix sniffed her.  She closed her eyes as her hair was sucked into a small vacuum.  “Well, she’s your blood alright,” he announced.  “I can smell it.”  
Marcy’s heart sank.  Really?  Oh, I was so hoping it wasn’t true.  
“She looks like you, a bit,” continued the dragon.  “And a bit like Zalic.  Which is to be expected.  Miss Marcy, I am pleased to make your acquaintance.”
I didn’t know that dragons were so..formal.  “Uh, you too, Mister…Cyronix.”
“There’s no need to call me Mister.”  He gazed at her kindly.  “Just Cyronix will do.”  
“Okay then, um, Cyronix,” she said awkwardly.  “So how did you get behind us without me hearing you?  You’re, uh, pretty big and aren’t you loud?”
The dragon laughed.  “Well, being a dragon, I suppose you would think I am loud.  Quite the contrary, however.  I am fairly stealthy when I want to be.  I landed right behind you when your back was turned.”
Marcy shook her head.  “Wow, you’re crazy quiet.  I hardly felt a breeze!”  I am talking to a dragon, she marveled.  What would Olivia say if I told her?
He laughed again.  “Thank you.”  Cyronix nodded toward the house, which they were slowly nearing.  “I’m afraid I cannot join you inside, but if you need me, I’ll be around.”  He bowed politely to both of them.  “Good day, Miss Jenny, Miss Marcy.”  The large dragon took off with a gust of wind and flew toward the forest.
“Woah, a real dragon,” Marcy breathed as she turned to watch him go.  She turned to Jenny.  “Are you sure I’m not dreaming?  Is this all a big prank or something?”
Her mother laughed.  “No, this isn’t a dream.”  They stepped up the front stairs of the house.  She opened the front door.  “Welcome to my other home.”
---------
Still like Alex?  Didn't think so.  XD  Also, Cyronix is awesome.
Special note: Alex and Cyronix are both modeled after people I know.  I often add people I know into my works.  
~~Zoë Wingfeather

No comments:

Post a Comment